Wednesday 28 November 2007

Theatre etiquette

Last Friday I went to to the Shanghai Grand Theatre, mainly to see the building inside. It was impressive. It is an immense theatre. The building was designed by French architect Jean-Marie Charpentier and covers a floor area of 11,528 m². Interior design was by Studios Architecture.
They were showing 'Princess Yang Guifei' dance and drama. Lots of dancers on stage....Fuck! I have just lost everything I wrote. Now I have to start again... Anyway, como iba diciendo: lots of dancers on stage ( lo que sobra aqui es gente, por figurantes que no quede!) nice costumes and settings but no soul, no passion (mas bien soso). The theatre was chock a block( hasta la bandera, a rebosar). Throughout the whole show people did not stop talking, oblivious to what was happening on stage. There was a constant murmur that was more noticeable when the music was softer. Habia tal guirigai que parecia una verbena, solo falto que los de la fila de enfrente sacaran una fiambrera con unas noodles o unos bocatas en papel de alumino o unas empanadillas flitas. Yo flipaba. I was astonished everybody took that as normal behaviour. Only a couple of times, I could hear someone shushing the public. Mucho teatro pero pocos modales. The same thing happened a few weeks ago in a concert by Marta Sebestyan. People were talking when she was singing. It might be the norm here, but I think that is bad manners, a mi no me jodas!

3 comments:

Pedro Valdés said...

me encantan las aclaraciones, acotaciones, en español. Flipas

Marco said...

I would probably spend more time being annoyed than watching what's happening on stage. Can you rent the entire opera for us when I come so we don't have to put up with local customs? =)

Anonymous said...

You write very well.