Sunday 9 December 2007

Expats

An expatriate (in abbreviated form, expat) is a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing or legal residence. The word comes from the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country, fatherland), and is sometimes misspelled (either unintentionally or intentionally) as ex-patriot or short ex-pat (because of its pronunciation).

Lyman's thoughts: 'Being here, or being an expat makes me loose contact with my past. It is a way of erasing my past. My history dissapears. The life of the expats is the life of those who live to the day. I should move to another place every two years.'
That is a way of of running away from yourself, I said. He agreed, and I felt that algo de hueso habia tocao,no en el sino en mi. Maybe I have done that myself as well.

Selina always tells me: 'If you come to China you should have a mission, a purpose otherwise you will loose yourself.'

http://www.evadefilter.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL2VuLndpa2lwZWRpYS5vcmcvd2lraS9FeHBhdHJpYXRl

2 comments:

Marco said...

Mano-Lin,

I haven't forgotten my past even though I left my home country straight after I finished my studies.

Of course there are parts of my history that disappear- but some of them were already gone when I was still living in Germany anyway.

Moving countries helps to loose contact with your past- but only if you want it, if you moved in order to do so.

The life of the expats is the life of those who live to the day? That's an objective view and e.g. not true for me. But interesting thoughts- made me think about my links to my birth place again and I realised how strong they are.

If it's just temporary it will be easier not to loose yourself, even without a purpose.

Are you running away from yourself?

Ma Qui To - Daughter Of The Dawn & Sister Of The Morning Dew

Pedro Valdés said...

tu no te me pierdas ¿eh?