Friday 14 September 2007

They would sell their own mothers!!!!

On my first night after arriving I decided to go for a walk towards the Huangou River . As soon as I passed by The People's Square and got into Nan Jing Road every second minute I had some blooming Chinese boy or girl talking to me in English trying to sell me the same things: 'Rolex watch, Prada bag, Gucci bag, foot massage, sex massage, pretty girl' At the beginning I tried to reject them politely, after half an hour I started ignoring them rudely.
After walking for three hours I felt very tired, jet lagged and confused. I just wanted to go back home, to London, or at least back to the hotel. I missed Marco, I missed London, I missed the comfort of my house. I felt anguished about the perspective of spending a whole year in this country away from them all. I tried to use the underground, I went downstairs and I couldn't work out how it worked. They did not speak English. I went out, I cried. I tried to get a taxi, he refused to take me. I tried a second one and finally he accepted to take me! I got a text from Jose in which he reminded me that going through new experiences with joy makes them more fruitful. He also reminded me of how lucky we are. My mood and my attitude changed. I am going to try to get the most out of this new chapter, as Marco calls it.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mano-Lin-Lin-Lin!
Your Chinese name sounds cute!
I heard noise of people who try to sell you somethig when I phone you. It was soooo funy.
Shanghai pics looks like fifth element film amazing....
I can't wait to go there next month to see you!
Hope you enjoy new adventure!

Pedro Valdés said...

chacho es un blog saignés

Mano-Lin said...

P-Drin, espero que me entendais en ingles, sino entendeis algo me preguntais y os traduzco.

José said...

Tu actitud ante la vida lo cambia todo, pero qué difícil es
estar "desculturizado"